Saturday, September 25, 2010

How do you see identity, image, and reputation used in your work environment?

In today’s competitive environment corporate image or identity is one of the biggest concerns of the companies. Customers have become choosey and are loyal to those companies which have unique identity and clean image.  Identity is who you really are and image is how much of that reality people know. A company’s reputation can be established in the public’s eyes by the corporate responsible actions of the company. For an individual also image and identity is as important as for a company. I just saw this movie Eat love and pray which had this quote “That’s what you do, that isn’t who you are.”
I was a Sales Manager at Metlife insurance. In order to sell insurance one must have a clean image so that people trust you blindly. As I was new to this industry I dint have my identity in the market. So first thing was I had to create my identity so that people knew who I was and could have faith on me and my team members.
Reputation and image plays a big role in my industry. 

4 comments:

  1. Most insurance agents are trying to expand its customer base as it would result into a steady income from commissions. As customers drop off the policy or switch to another provider new customers should be enrolled regularly The most relevant strategy in this environment would be to be remembered and visible in local markets.

    In-fact blogging activities and internet marketing has helped many companies to reach consumers and deliver their products on door step. According to recent survey conducted by Astonish says 7 out of 10 insurance shoppers use the Internet


    The only success which insurance company are making via internet is due to its reputation and image which took years to build and helping to increase its sales, reach monthly goals for agents and overall bringing success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. short but sweet blog. But I do believe that it is the company as a whole, whose reputation,identity and image is what matters. I think you are spot on in saying that how each individual can make a difference to the entire corporation. But as a customer, I won't buy anything just because its sales manager is very honest. I had a same experience with India Bulls. At that time in India there were only 2-3 brokerage companies who were offering an online trading facilities in India. My friend was working on other brokerage company and I can obviously rely on him blindly. But I choose India Bulls only because their brand and their entire reputaion in the market. They do have some tough rules for customers like you can not trade on some risky scripts, their margin requirements etc. But atleast my investment is safe in such a reputed company. and so far I do have a great experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got an interview from MetLife last week for a financial service representative position. Through talking with the director in the company, I have learned more about the position. It will be hard for a new representative to convince potential customers to buy his service since there is no trust between them. However, the company has some training program for new representative at the first year to train him to have professional knowledge and skills in relationship building.
    Trust is the key in the relationship development. Although it would be hard to gain trust from customers, but trust can be established if you would like to spend more time with potential customers. Start to make friend with those customers and understand what their needs. In addition, provide practical solutions to customers would be a good step to go.
    Once you have built up trust and relationship with customers, you are successful in creating professional identity, trustable image and positive reputation in the industry. It will make you working smoothly in the career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think that it would be hard in such a case to sell insurance where people might not know you that well. However , I would think in the case where people might seek insurance, they might be more willing to trust the individual, especially if they we're representing a well known company such as metlife.Thats an interesting quote from the movie but I wonder how close a connection there is between "what you do and who you are". I think this connection can be seen in the instance where it is said that image is the reflection of identity.

    ReplyDelete