Sunday, October 10, 2010
How do you see Media Relations used in your work environment?
There are countless examples of businesses getting widely discussed in the media. From the very bad; the decision to cut health care for employees or a class action discrimination lawsuit being filed, to the very good; charitable contributions or building a community center in an inner city neighborhood, actions are going to be discussed on much more than a local level. Regardless of what an organization does, it will have ramifications in the media. That is why it is essential to have good media relations. PNC Bank makes use of all forms of media. For example, when National City was consolidated with PNC, many consumers were concerned. National City customers were worried that programs and accounts that they had been using for years would no longer be accessible at PNC and they feared that they would simply be expected to open new accounts. PNC made sure to get the word out via various media sources that this would not be the case. This was also apparent during the banking bailout when PNC was able to inform its customers that they did not receive any bailout money nor did they ask for any. It is important to be able to get information out as quickly as possible and if you have a good relationship with the media, you can help assure that this happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was a National City customer and I would have to disagree with you that PNC ‘got the word out’. I received a generic form letter in the mail telling me that a substantial trust account was no longer going to be handled by all of the people that I knew and trusted at National City. I was supposed to now be calling a set of names on a list that I had never dealt with at another financial institution. PNC did nothing to quell my concerns when I called and I did not see or hear anything that made me feel any more comfortable with the situation. The letter I received from National City saying goodbye was much more personalized and appropriate than what was sent by PNC. PNC is too large to relate to personalization as far as I can tell. I also must state that they have made mistakes with the account. If PNC thinks they handled the situation with the proper media in place they need to reevaluate and examine their communications department. I suppose in conjunction with this chapter I could start complaining about this on a blog!
ReplyDelete